Friday, October 23, 2020
Virtual Open house by CAMD
The following message was sent to families.
Greetings from Andover,
Family weekend is upon us! Though we wish we were greeting you from the comforts of CAMD, we are nevertheless grateful for an opportunity to connect and be in community with you all.
This Friday at 7 p.m., CAMD is hosting a session entitled Decoding Andover: A Conversation with Families, Alumni and Staff/Faculty of Color. We hope our time together will give you all an opportunity to hear from some of our faculty, staff and alumni of color who have navigated Andover both as parents and students as well as current and former employees. In thinking about all the systems there are to navigate at a place like Andover, we thought who better to help us unpack some of this than those who are and have been most intimately affiliated with the Academy. We see this panel as a continuation of the work we did with Tony Jack, author of the Privileged Poor, How Elite Colleges Are Failing Disadvantaged Students around demystifying what he calls the “hidden curriculum” of schools.
Our panelists will be:
- Aldonsa Pereya P’19, Administrative Coordinator, Dean of Faculty Office
- Dr. Flavia Vidal P’16 P‘21, Director of the Brace Center for Gender Studies & Instructor in English
- Aya Murata P ‘19 P’21, Associate Director of College Counseling & Empathy, Balance & Inclusion 9th Grade Course Head
- Unwana Abasi ‘13, former Biology Teaching Fellow and M.D. Candidate at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- MJ Engel ‘13, Fellow in English & 10th Grade Course Head
- Elly Nyamwaya P’14 P‘24, Instructor in English
- Trey Brown ‘12, Assistant Director of Admissions & Varsity Football Coach
We’ll also have an opportunity to hear from Julie Cooper P‘21 and Carl Horton P’22 both of whom are serving on the Anti-Racism Taskforce. They’ll share more about opportunities for families to engage with the task force’s work.If you have any questions that you would like to pose to our panelists, please be in touch. Zoom information is below.
Take good care,
The CAMD Team
CAMD Website and Instagram